One way to remain spiritually centered during the festive Christmas season is to create an Advent Calendar that focuses on the true meaning of Christmas – the celebration of the arrival of the Savior. Search the Web for examples of Advent Calendars or design your own Calendar.
- Each day of Advent illustrate a different verse from Scripture that centers on God’s promise to send a Savior and that highlights the circumstances of Christ’s birth. End the calendar with the nativity scene.
- Spend a few minutes each day meditating on the Scripture and your illustrations.
- For those not artistically inclined, purchase a spiral journal with an inspirational Christmas illustration or verse on the cover and start creating your Advent Calendar.
- Use stickers, shapes, clip art, or your own drawings to illustrate your understanding of Scripture.
- Select Scripture readings from the Revised Daily Common Lectionary for 2017.
Use a Journal or Sketchbook to Create your Own Advent Calendar